Jump to navigation Jump to search
For the rules of niagara, see GameHelpNiagara
Don’t fall over the falls!
- It is hard to recover from this as you lose a boat and you can only get it back by paying a gem.
- If you do lose a boat be careful about when you pay to get it back.
- Remember that you can only bring one boat back in at a time.
- You don’t want to give the last vital gem to an opponent.
Play your small numbers early
- This will keep some large numbers in reserve so you can either:
- Get a gem out or
- at least avoid plummeting over the falls.
Plan when to play your cloud
- Don’t be forced to play it when you really need to move upstream to avoid going over the falls.
- It is embarrassing and will cost you a boat!
- When you are in front, reduce the river speed.
- This speeds up the game
- When you are behind, increase the river speed.
- This slows the game
- This will give you and other players more opportunities to steal gems from the leaders.
Steal gems whenever possible
- Unless that sets up your opponent to get the gem they need to win.
- The fewer gems your opponents has, the more work they need to do to win.
Avoid being stolen from whenever possible
- If your opponents have used all numbers required to land on a particular space this turn, then treat that space as a safe place for this turn only.
Remember all your opponents’ numbers played
- This is your key to developing a winning strategy.
- Without this information, you are just guessing and hoping.
- Be informed, don’t play randomly.
Defend against sudden victories by your opponents
- You need to keep in mind all possible victory conditions and make sure no opponent is getting close to one of them.
- Reduce the number of purple or white gems available if an opponent is going for one of these.
- They only need four of the same gem, so don’t wait until they have their third or fourth gem loaded on a boat.
- Remove the possibility of someone else getting four gems by getting that gem too.
- All opponents should work together to stop the leaders winning.
- If an opponent is carrying a gem they don’t need for their victory, don’t steal it from them as it only makes their job easier.
- Unless you need it yourself!