You are one of two Daimyo—feudal lords of Edo Japan—tasked by the Shogun to bring prosperity to a small town. Carefully manoeuvre the town’s retainers to gather resources, build buildings, complete the Shogun’s tasks, and win favour. The most prosperous Daimyo will be granted the title to the town.
At game end, the player who has the most Victory Points (VP) wins.
The game ends immediately when either:
- A player reaches 7 Victory Points
- The final Objective is scored
Taking a Turn
Players alternate turns. Each turn has these 2 steps:
- Move a Meeple
- Activate the space
Move a Meeple
Move 1 available meeple to an adjacent empty space. Meeples with a Daimyo marker are unavailable. Meeples may not move diagonally or share spaces
Place your Daimyo on the meeple you just moved.
Once per game, the player with the Influence token may discard it from the game to remove a Daimyo marker from a meeple before they move.
Activate the space
Resolve the effects on the space moved to, in any order you choose:
Gold/Food Take the shown amount of Gold or Food (up to a maximum of 7 of each)
Build Take 1 Building by paying the cost shown at the bottom of the tile OR Remove 1 of your Buildings from the game to gain 1 VP
Action For each Action symbol, you may take 1 action of your choice:
- Trigger an Objective - Evaluate the leftmost Objective. Give the points shown on the Objectives track to the winning player (or neither, in the event of a tie). Turn the Objective face down. Note: you may only score 1 Objective per turn.
- Activate your Building - Use the ability of 1 Building that includes an Action symbol. Note: You may only use each building once per turn.
- Trade - Exchange any number of resources at a 2:1 ratio.
- Donate - Spend 5 Gold OR spend 5 Food to gain 1 VP.
Advanced game modes add Advanced Objectives, and alternative movement abilities for each meeple (when used, these alternate moves replace ordinary moves for the turn).
- 1A (SIMPLE) Use the meeple’s movement ability by paying the costs
- 2A (COMPLEX) Use the meeple’s movement ability without paying any costs.
- 1B/2B (MODERATE) Combine with variant 1A or 2A above. Randomly select either the coloured (available) or grey (unavailable) side for available abilities.
The alternative movement abilities are:
- SUMO STABLES (2 Food) Push an adjacent meeple into an empty space. Move into the space they left.
- NINJA DOJO (2 Gold) Swap the Ninja with another meeple. Resolve the Ninja’s space.
- GEISHA HOUSE (1 Food + 1 Gold) Remove any Daimyo marker from the Geisha. Then move the Geisha normally.
- SAMURAI SCHOOL (1 Food + 1 Gold) Move the Samurai diagonally.
Barracks (3 Gold) Spend 1 Action and 3 Gold to gain 1 VP.
Broker (2 Gold) Spend 1 Action to gain 2 Gold.
Castle (5 Gold + 5 Food) Immediately gain 2 VP.
Gold Mine (1 Gold + 3 Food) Gain 1 extra Gold on a space that grants Gold.
Guard House (2 Gold + 1 Food) Spend 2 Gold to place the Guard House on an empty space. Return it on your next turn.
Market (1 Gold + 1 Food) Spend 1 Action to trade any number of resources at a 1:1 ratio.
Rice Paddy (3 Gold + 1 Food) Gain 1 extra Food on a space that grants Food.
School (1 Gold + 1 Food) Spend 1 Action and any 4 resources to gain 1 VP.
Shrine (3 Food) Spend 1 Action and 3 Food to gain 1 VP.
Stables (1 Gold + 1 Food) Spend 1 Food to move 1 additional space during the move step. Resolve only the final space.
Statue (3 Gold + 3 Food) Immediately gain 1 VP.
Yatai (2 Food) Spend 1 Action to gain 2 Food.
Builder: The player with the most Buildings.
Abundant: The player with the highest total Food spent on Buildings.
Opulent: The player with the highest total Gold spent on Buildings.
City Planner: The player with the highest total cost of Buildings.
Banker: The player with the most Gold.
Hoarder: The player with the most Food.
Resourceful: The player with the highest total of Food plus Gold.
Peasant: The player with the highest total of Food minus Gold (may be less than 0).
Miser: The player with the highest total of Gold minus Food (may be less than 0).
Combatant: The player who triggers this Objective scores if Samurai & Sumo are adjacent.
Spymaster: The player who triggers this Objective scores if Ninja & Geisha are adjacent.
Organiser: The player who triggers this Objective scores if 3 meeples are in a straight line (not diagonal).
Loser: The player with the least number of Victory Points.
Farmer: The player with the fewest Buildings.
Can I move the same meeple I moved last turn?
No, you must move an unmarked meeple.
How many of each resource can I have?
You can have both 7 Food and 7 Gold. Note that there are only 13 of each resource available.
What if the Guard House building blocks all possible moves?
The Guard House may not be placed such that the opponent has no available moves.
What else can I use the build space for?
Purchased Buildings can be gifted to the town (permanently removed from the game) to gain 1 VP.