Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Hearts is a card game for 4 players, every player for themselves.
- It uses the standard 52-card pack, ranked (high) to (low), with the figure cards being high to low.
The entire deck is dealt, giving each player a hand of 13 cards. After looking at your hand, choose three cards to pass to another player.
The passing rotation is:
- (1st hand) to the player on your left,
- (2nd hand) to the player on your right,
- (3rd hand) to the player across the table,
- (4th hand) no passing.
The rotation repeats until the game ends.
- After passing cards, the player holding the leads the first trick.
- Each player must follow suit if possible. If you have no cards of the suit led, you may play a card of any suit.
- Exception: You may not play a or the on the first trick, even if you have no clubs.
- The highest card of the suit led wins the trick. The winner of a trick starts the next trick.
- Hearts may not be led until a has been played (this is called "breaking hearts").
- There is no trump suit.
- At the end of each hand, each taken by a player counts -1, and the counts -13.
- If one player has taken all 13 s and (this is known as "shooting the moon", or "slam"), that player scores 0 and all other players score -26. Warning other players about an attempt to shoot the moon is team play, and a breach of Hearts etiquette.
- When one or more players reach zero, the game ends.
- The player with the highest score wins.
- Start with 50 points
- Start with 75 points
- Start with 100 points
- Omnibus Hearts: is +10; shooting the moon requires ( , ( , and all 13
- Black Maria: is -7, is -10, no penalty card play limit, always pass right, no shooting the moon, player left of dealer always starts
- Spot Hearts: is -14, is -13, is -12, is -11, and other are negative their face value
Jack of Diamonds bonus
- Enabled ( worth +10)
Penalty card play limit
- Default (no points on first trick, cannot lead until they break)
- Points in the first trick (cannot lead until they break)
Face value scoring
High Spades scoring
- Enabled ( always starts)
- Disabled (player left of dealer always starts)
Shooting the moon
- Default (other players receive -26 points)
- Positive moon scoring (player receives +26 points)
- Remove no pass hands
- Always pass right
Skip uneventful final tricks