Geek Out! Masters
The Geek Out! Argentina community gathers people with extravagant tastes.
Represented in the dice faces are various themes like comics, fantasy, videogames, sci-fi and board games.
But there’s a sixth face, the number 42. The answer to the question to the meaning of life; and what a better way to find the meaning of life than through a game that reunites everything we love?
Geek Out! Masters is a fast-paced, dice-rolling, push-your-luck game. Be the one who gets the most 42s and win the game in order to be closer to illumination.
The gameplay area is composed of 4 sectors:
1. The center of the table is the active dice zone.
2. Near the player, apart from the active dice, is the scoreboard.
3. The game box will store the used dice.
4. The game box's cover will store the inactive dice.
The first player is decided randomly. That player places the scoreboard near them, roll 7 dice and put them in the active dice zone. The remaining 3 dice are placed in the inactive dice zone.
Objective of the game:
Players try to get points by rolling the most 42 dice faces they can, while avoiding the dangerous dragons and spaceships. After 5 rounds, the player with the most points will be declared the winner. In case of a tie, tied players share the victory!
A game turn starts with 3 dice placed in the inactive dice zone and 7 dice in the active dice zone. The active player rolls the 7 active dice and resolves all dice actions available in the order of their choice. It is mandatory to do all the dice actions as long as that’s possible. The order in which actions are resolved is essential. When a dice action is performed, the dice used for the action must be placed in the used dice zone.
Meeple: Choose another dice in the active dice zone and reroll it.
Spaceship: Choose another dice in the active dice zone and move it to the inactive dice zone. If the spaceship is the only available dice, the spaceship autodestructs and ends your turn, destroying all scored dice (you score 0 points this turn).
Heart: Take one dice from the inactive dice zone, roll it and add it to the active dice zone (if there are no more dice in the inactive dice zone, this does nothing and the heart is simply moved to the used dice zone).
Superhero: Choose another dice in the active dice zone and flip it, leaving the opposite face on top (the opposite of every face always has the same color but different icon). Opposite faces are:
- 42-Heart (red faces) - Meeple-Spaceship (green faces) - Superhero-Dragon (yellow faces)
42: This dice doesn’t take any action. If you have performed all other possible dice actions and there are only dice with the 42 face in the active dice zone, these are all moved to the scored dice zone, where you'll be able to score them for points.
Dragon: This dice doesn’t take any action. If you are stuck with one or more dragons in the active dice zone, your turn ends, and the dragon(s) eat all of your scored dice (you score 0 points this turn).
Exhausting your Actions:
Once the active player has used all of their actions, there are three possible scenarios:
- If there is a Spaceship, or one or more Dragons in the active dice zone, the turn ends immediately and the active player scores 0 points. The next player’s turn starts.
- If there are only dice with the 42 face in the active dice zone, these dice are moved to the scored dice zone. Then the player must choose to continue with their turn (risking loosing the point achieved in the active turn) or pass and take note of their score.
- If there aren’t any more dice in the active dice zone, the player must choose to continue with their turn (risking loosing the point achieved in the active turn) or pass and take note of their score.
If they decide to continue with their turn, the player must take all dice in the used dice zone and roll them. This continues until the player decides to end their turn or is forced to end the turn. If they decide to pass, the points earned with the 42 face are scored. These points are now safe and cannot be taken away. A player must pass their turn if the used dice zone is empty.
When a player decides to pass and finish their turn, the player counts the number of 42 that they got in the scored dice zone. Depending on the amount of scored dice in their turn, the following points will be awarded:
- 1 Dice 42 - 1 point - 2 Dice 42 - 3 points - 3 Dice 42 - 6 points - 4 Dice 42 - 10 points - 5 Dice 42 - 15 points - 6 Dice 42 - 21 points - 7 Dice 42 - 28 points - 8 Dice 42 - 36 points - 9 Dice 42 - 45 points - 10 Dice 42 - 55 points
Remember, if there is a Spaceship, or one or more Dragons in the active dice zone, the turn ends immediately and the active player scores 0 points.
After each player plays 5 turns, the game ends. The player that scored the most points over 5 turns is the winner. In case of a tie, the players share the victory!