Butterfly is simple tile set collection game by Rio Grande. You take the hedgehog from tile to tile scoring points for the tiles you collect.
The player to the left of the starting player places the hedgehog on any tile.
Players then take turns. On your turn, you move the hedgehog to any tile which is in a straight line either ahead of it, to its left or to its right, rotating the piece in the direction it is moving. You can skip over empty spaces to reach the tile. When you land on a tile, you collect it.
Some spaces on the board have Butterfly Nets, which are revealed when tiles are collected. If the hedgehog moves over an exposed butterfly net, the player may immediately choose to draw and score a random tile from the bag.
- Butterflies score the number of points shown. (There are also colored x2 multipliers which multiply the score in that colour)
- Dragonflies score only the highest dragonfly collected.
- Lightning bugs score only the lowest lightning bug collected.
- Grasshoppers score only the last grasshopper collected, previous tiles are discarded.
- Flowers are each worth the number of collected flowers. (Example: if you have 4 flowers, each flower is worth 4 points = a total of 16 points in flowers.)
- For each Bee which you can pair with a Honeycomb, the Bee scores 0 and the Honeycomb scores the printed value.
- Bees are worth -3 without a Honeycomb to live in.
- Honeycombs are worth 0 points without a bee to live in them.
- Wasps are worth negative points as shown on each wasp tile.
The game is over when the hedgehog can no longer be moved. The player with the highest score at that time wins!