Geek Out! Masters
The Geek Out! Argentina community gathers people with extravagant tastes. Represented in the dice of it’s logo you can find various themes like comics, fantasy, videogames, sci-fi and boardgames. But there’s a sixth face, the number 42. The answer to the question to the meaning of life; and what a better way to find the meaning of life than through a game that reunites everything we love?
Geek Out! Masters is a fast-paced, dice-rolling, push-your-luck game. Be the one who get’s more 42s and win the game in order to be closer to illumination.
The gameplay area is composed by 4 sectors:
1. In the center of the table there will be the active dice.
2. Near the player, apart from the active dice, there’ll be the scoreboard.
3. Inside the box there’ll be the used dice.
4. Inside the box cover there’ll be the inactive dice.
The first player is decided randomly, she places the scoreboard near her, rolls 7 dice and puts them in the active dice zone. The remaining 3 dice will be placed in the inactive dice zone.
Objective of the game:
Players try get points by rolling the most 42 dice faces they can, while avoiding the dangerous dragons and spaceships. After 5 rounds, the player with the most points will be declared the winner. In case of a tie, tied players share the victory!
A game turn starts with 3 dice placed in the inactive dice zone and 7 dice in the active dice zone. The active player rolls the 7 active dice and resolves all dice actions available in the order of her choice. It is mandatory to do all the dice actions as long as that’s possible. So the order in which actions are resolved is essential. When a die action is performed, the die used for the action must be placed in the used dice zone.
Meeple: Choose another die in the active dice zone and reroll it.
Spaceship: Choose another die in the active dice zone and move it to the inactive dice zone. If the spaceship is the only available die, the spaceship autodestroys and ends your turn, destroying all scored dice (you score 0 points this turn).
Heart: Take one die from the inactive dice zone, roll it and add it to the active dice zone (if there are no more dice in the inactive dice zone, this does nothing and the heart is simply moved to the used dice zone).
Superhero: Choose another die in the active dice zone and flip it, leaving the opposite face on top (the opposite of every face always has the same color but different icon). Opposite faces are: 42-Heart (red faces) Meeple-Spaceship (green faces) Superhero-Dragon (yellow faces)
42: This dice doesn’t have any action. If they’re the only dice left in the active dice zone after making all the others dice action, these are moved to the scored dice zone, where you'll be able to score them for points.
Dragon: This die doesn’t make any action. If you are stuck with one or more dragons in the active dice zone, your turn ends, and the dragon/s eat all your scored dice (you score 0 points this turn).
Exhausting your Actions:
Once the active player used all her actions, there are three posible scenarios:
- If there is a Spaceship, or one or more Dragons in the active dice zone, the turn ends immediately and the active player scores 0 points. The next player’s turn starts.
- If there are only dice with the 42 face in the active dice zone, these dice are moved to the scored dice zone. Then the player must choose to continue with her turn (risking loosing the point achieved in the active turn) or pass and take note of her score.
- If there aren’t any more dice in the active dice zone, the player must choose to continue with her turn (risking loosing the point achieved in the active turn) or pass and take note of her score.
If she decides to continue with her turn, the player must take all dice in the used dice zone and roll them. This continues until the player decides to end her turn or is forced to end the turn. If she decides to pass, the points earned with the 42 face are scored. This points are now safe and cannot be taken away. A player must pass her turn if the used dice zone is empty.
When a player decides to pass and finish the turn, the player counts the number of 42 that she got in the scored dice zone. Depending on the amount of scored dice in the actual turn the following points will be awarded:
- 1 Dice 42 - 1 point - 2 Dice 42 - 3 points - 3 Dice 42 - 6 points - 4 Dice 42 - 10 points - 5 Dice 42 - 15 points - 6 Dice 42 - 21 points - 7 Dice 42 - 28 points - 8 Dice 42 - 36 points - 9 Dice 42 - 45 points - 10 Dice 42 - 55 points
Remember, if there is a Spaceship, or one or more Dragons in the active dice zone, the turn ends immediately and the active player scores 0 points.
After each player plays 5 turns, the game ends. The player that scored more points totalling all the turns is the winner. In case of a tie, the players share the victory!