1. Strike a balance between protecting persons from events and getting victory points. Preventing all losses is inefficient, but losing several persons in one turn is devastating.
2. Turn order is important. If you can't be first, try to stay close to the first player on person points.
3. Plan ahead. If you are counting on getting a particular person or doing a particular action, don't wait until the last minute.
4. Know which persons are expendable. After a person has served their function, you can safely let them go.
5. If you have less than 3 yuan, skipping an action might be better than collecting taxes. 3 yuan can guarantee the next turn's action or pay most of an Imperial Tribute.
6. In the early game, consider things that give VP every turn: privileges, palaces, court lady.
Be sure to pay attention to what the other players are doing!