- You have two climbers (a smooth one and a squiggly one, to keep them straight). You win by getting them both as high as possible, and back down without them dying over 18 turns.
- Each card you play either lets you MOVE (self explanatory) or ACCLIMATIZE (increase the buffer between you and icy death) one climber.
- Each space on the mountain either has a gold number on its upper right, or is blank (implying a gold number of 1). This is the amount of movement points you need to move onto that space.
- Cards in your hand with GREEN numbers (no idea why they didn't make it gold as well) give your climbers these movement points. Some have a single, all-purpose number, others have a smaller number you can use to move any direction and a larger number you can ONLY use to move down.
You can combine movement cards but not divide them.
- For example, if you have a two cards of value 1, you CAN combine them to give one of your climbers 2 movement points.
- However, if you have a card of value 3, you CANNOT split it to give one climber 1 point and the other one 2.
- Each of your climbers has an acclimatization value, which you can see next to your figures at the top right of the screen
- Many spaces on the mountain have a BLUE (good) or RED (bad) number on their bottom left. These increase or decrease your acclimatization if you end movement on those spaces.
- You can also play cards with BLUE numbers to increase a climber's acclimatization.
- This is important because if your acclimatization drops to zero, that climber dies and loses all his/her points
Other Stuff: Risk, Tents, and Weather
- Risk: Each turn, whoever chooses movement cards with the highest sum has to take a Risk token. You get to choose which token, from a pool of three, so it is sometimes minimal. But these tokens will reduce your movement or acclimatization.
- The penalty can only be applied to a climber who was moved/acclimatized by a card this turn.
- Moral of the story, you want to move fast, but not faster than everyone else.
- Tents: Each climber has one tent (so, two per team). You can pitch this tent on any space by re-paying the movement point cost on that space (e.g., a space with a Gold 2 requires 2 movement points to pitch a tent). Tents give their climber +1 acclimatization at the end of each turn in which they are on that space.
- Weather: Across the top of the board you can see the weather and the forecast, a little way out.
- Good weather has no effect
- Bad weather reduces acclimatization and/or movement, but only if you are at a certain elevation on the mountain.
- Hover the mouse to see the important details, you can't read the elevation just from the picture.
- Each player selects three cards for the round, which they will use during the action phase
- Choices are made secretly and then revealed simultaneously
Mechanics: Highlight 3 of your 6 cards, then confirm at top of page
- The player with the most movement points (summed) must take a risk token
- In case of a tie, no one takes a risk token
- A new risk token will then be revealed, so three are always available
Mechanics: The game will automatically assign the most favorable token to the correct player
- Select cards, one at a time or multiple at a time, and which climber to apply them to
- Acclimatization cards will be applied automatically, and will raise the selected climbers acclimatization level
- Movement cards will allow you to move (click on a highlighted space on the mountain), apply risk penalties, or pitch a tent (buttons at top of screen)
- Each climber's newly gained victory points are marked on the victory point track
- Note the influence of weather on movement (only in winter weather)!
- There are stacking limits (number of climbers a space can hold) at each elevation based upon the number of players. See the diagrams on the right.
- These limits only apply at the END of your move. In other words, you can move through a space that is full, but cannot stop there.
- Add/subtract acclimatization:
- Add/Subtract for blue or red acclimatization numbers on each climber's current space
- A tent of the player's color adds +1 to acclimatization
- Subtract acclimatization resulting from the current weather, if in the affected altitude zone
- If acclimatization exceeds 6, it is reduced back to 6
If acclimatization drops below 1, the climber dies, losing any VP gained
End of Turn
- The starting player marker passes to the left (on BGA, down)
- The weather marker moves to the next space. If this puts the marker onto the second tile, a new forecast is added.
- Draw 3 cards to have 6 again. If draw pile is empty, players will play their final three cards before reshuffling and drawing to 6.
Cardlist Total: 18 cards
- Acclimatization cards (Blue)
- Movement cards (Green)
- Rope cards (Green)